Monday, April 27, 2009

The Joys of Spring



One of the things I love best about spring, is not only gardening, but watching the birds! After being in Chicago for three weeks, I came home to find this lovely little Mourning Dove had built her nest on top of the outdoor ceiling fan on my upper deck. She was undaunted by my presence and tenacious about staying with her nest! I read about Mourning Doves online and found that a Mourning Dove usually has two eggs in her nest and the nest is tended in the mornings by the male and then in the evenings by the female. It usually takes about 14 days for the eggs to hatch. I can't wait to see the babies!


On our lower porch ceiling, two sets of Purple Finches have been busy at work making their nests in our ceiling lights! Although I haven't seen them the past couple days, so I'm not sure if they've given up the idea of having their nests here because there is too much traffic!


In the meantime, I've been hard at work planting my summer garden and tending to that. Three years ago, my daughter gave me some of her Iris bulbs when she thinned them out and this is how they look in full bloom!

I love Spring!!

3 comments:

Sue said...

What beautiful iris,my husband and I saw a morning dove the other day and he asked if I knew anything about their nesting habits, and now I know and I can share this with him. I think this is so neat. Thank you for sharing.
Sue

Linda S H said...

Hi Sue, Thank you for your comments. You can read about the Mourning Dove here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning_Dove

They have a beautiful, low coo-ing sound that sounds rather mournful, thus the name. The link above have some pictures as well as some wonderful information about their habits and nesting.

Southern Lady said...

Linda, I love your little dove ... she's so sweet. I hope you can get pictures of the babies when they hatch. The mama and daddy work so hard to feed them and they grow so fast!

Thank you for your note about my courtyard. I'm so glad you're blogging again! I missed you.