Monday, November 23, 2009

I Am Habit - New Post



I love this poem and wrote it down in a book a very long time ago. It's a good reminder for each of us as Christians, and even for those who aren't. It's the daily little things we allow to come into our lives that slowly and meticulously mold us into what we will become. If we walk daily with the Lord and follow in His steps, always seeking His guidance in everything, we won't have to worry about slowly going off course. Isaiah 30:21 says: "And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left." All we have to do is ASK for guidance when we need to make a decision about anything. I call them "whisper prayers"... just quickly whisper a prayer up to God and He, who loves you more than anyone else, will quickly answer. He won't leave you floundering or wondering "should I do this or not? is this okay for a Christian to do?" Just ASK HIM.

One of the reasons God had to discipline Israel is found in Isaiah 29:13: "Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:".....

We cannot, as Christians, say we are Christians and then live like the rest of the unsaved world. We cannot allow the "world" to shape and form our convictions. It's a contradiction and a shame. It drags God's Name through the mud and causes the Name of Christ to be ridiculed by the watching world.

The world says "everything is relevant and that there is no wrong or right; it's up to each individual to decide for himself". How then can we as individuals really know what is okay or harmless, or what is really not a good thing for Christians to participate in? Our convictions and thoughts must be molded by the Word of God and only then will we know the Heart of God on any chosen thing. God has made His thoughts on any subject, clear to us in His Word.

I believe Christians today have a hard time discerning because they aren't spending enough time in God's Word or seeking His face each day. Studies today show that the current generation is almost Biblically ignorant. How then can we know the way? Every man will do what is right "in his own eyes" without guidance from the Holy Spirit. This is what the world is teaching. " It may be right for you but it can be wrong for someone else... but that doesn't mean it's wrong for you." Satan is a liar and out to cause division and confusion amongst God's people. Without spending time in God's Word, we will go astray and be confused.

Here is the poem by Robert E. Sly, that I have kept and have never forgotten because of its message:

It is mighty hard to shake me;
In my brawny arms I take thee;
I can either make or break thee;
I am habit!

Through each day I slowly mold thee;
Soon my tight'ning chains enfold thee;
Then it is with ease I hold thee;
I am Habit!

I can be both good and vile,
I can e'en be worth your while,
Or the cause of your bitter cry;
I am Habit!

Oft I've proved myself a pleasure;
Proved myself a priceless treasure,
Or a menace past all measure;
Thus is Habit!

Harmless though I sometimes seem, yet
My strange force is like a magnet;
Like a great and greedy dragnet;
I am Habit!

Though you sometimes fear or doubt me
No one yet has lived without me;
I am present all about thee;
Thus is Habit!

CHOOSE ME WELL when you are starting
Seldom is an easy parting;
I'm a devil or a darling!
I am Habit!

Robert E. Sly

Words of wisdom for all of us!


1 comment:

Robin Beck said...

Hi~

This link shows you how to do a watermark on your photos.

http://cameras.about.com/od/printing/ss/watermark.htm

To do the © symbol press down your alt button while pushing the numbers 0169 (pretty cool huh?) :)


I did mine with adobe photoshop/ I got it at Costco last year for around $30.

Blessings,

Robin~♥