Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fragrance

My husband and I are contemplating building a log home in the near future. I have a folder with different styles and information about the red cypress that the logs are hewn from. One thing I read made me think about some other things. It says this: "People with respiratory problems have sought out Tidewater Red Cypress as a relief from modern day processed woods, containing toxins, glues, and numerous other chemicals. Our cypress is free from any man-made chemical treatments. Cypress imparts neither taste nor odor to people or products coming into contact with it. (Taken from the BK Cypress information folder).
These logs are just gorgeous and the homes built from them are just gorgeous! But wouldn't you expect to smell that wonderful "wood" smell when walking into such a gorgeous all wood home?
I thought it strange that there is no smell at all from these.
I'm afraid that many times, we Christians are like these beautiful red cypress logs! Nice to look at, but we really don't leave much of an influence behind ...... nothing that would alert anyone to the fact that we had a "fragrant message of God's grace, love and mercy" to impart to the hearers.

This reminded me of something I read in a "Voice of the Martyrs" book. It said this:
(and this isn't an exact quote since I can't remember it exactly)

"A Christian should be like the redwood cedar. When it is hewn down by the axe, it leaves its fragrance on the metal of the axe that cut it down and yet does no harm in return."

There is also an old poem that I have always loved which says this:

A Persian fable says: One day.....

A wanderer found a lump of clay;

So redolent of sweet perfume,

It's odor scented all the room.

"Who art thou?" was his quick demand.

"Art thou some gem from Samarcand,

Or spikenard in this rude disguise,

Or other costly merchandise?"

"Nay! I am but a lump of clay!"

"Then whence the wondrous sweetness- say?"

"Friend, if the secret I disclose

I have been dwelling with the rose."

(Author Unknown)

I pray that as I go through each day, that this "lump of clay" in which I dwell, will spill forth the wonderful fragrance and sweetness of Jesus to all that I meet. Of course, this will directly depend upon the amount of time I spend in His presence, won't it?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully written.  I found your blog from Pete Wilson's, withoutwax.  As much as I love poetry, I had never read that poem.Thanks for sharing.

Linda S H said...

Thank you so much Thomas for your comments. I love that poem and have kept it in a book of my favorites for many years now. I've never been able to forget it.

I just love Pete Wilson's blog, don't you? He's so REAL!!! thanks again for sharing your thoughts and visiting my blog. We've been so busy lately that I'm afraid I haven't been very consistent in writing, but intend to once we get all of this moving and changing of careers behind us! :) Linda