Saturday, October 17, 2009

Don't You Just Love Autumn?


Don't you just love fall?  When the air is cooler and the leaves are turning into beautiful reds, oranges, yellows and browns?  The air smells of decaying leaves...  why is it that this should smell so GOOD??  Fall Mums and pumpkins and gourds and hay bales.  There's no other season that brings such happy feelings and  yet regrets to me.  When fall arrives, I suddenly realize that winter isn't far behind!  But then I think of November and Thanksgiving and then Christmas just four weeks later!
Today my dear husband got up and decided he was going to do some work in our yard, now that the weather is cooler.  There is much to be done!  My back prevents me from doing much yard work anymore, so I decided to do some work on my novel today instead.  (I still have far to go on it before it will be finished.) 
There is one thing I don't like about fall though and that is that now, we will soon be facing the daylight savings time change and our daylight hours will be shorter.  I love the longer days of summer and wish we could have more daylight all year long.  But then I guess we wouldn't feel that need to "snuggle-in" as we do when it begins getting dark earlier.

The above picture was taken several years ago when my Mom carved a pumpkin.  I still remember when we were all at home as kids and my Mother entered a pumpkin-carving contest.  She made the most beautiful pumpkin into a Cinderella Coach with horsemen and a Barbie-turned-Cinderella. She won first prize!!  Then one of the kids at the judging booth lifted it up and dropped it and crashed it into a hundred pieces.  I sure am glad she got some pictures of that before it happened! 
Well....  Fall.  My favorite season!  "Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes" --  and a good book.  Life is good!               

2 comments:

Southern Lady said...

Nice post, Linda. It's a lot cooler here today, too, but still remnants of clouds overhead ... I just finished "snuggling in" with Avery Grace and watching "Snow White." It doesn't get much better than that, does it.

Wish you had a picture of your mom's "Cinderella pumpkin." I'm sure it was a sight to behold.

BECKY said...

Hi Gal! We're even having some fall weather in Florida!! YAY!! And to answer your question, I snap my photos quickly and move on, and don't take them if the people are visible or there are other cars around me. If they ask I'd just tell them about my blog and let them check it out for themselves, and of course delete their photo if they wanted me to. I think the people who restore these homes take great pride in them and love that others appreciate them so much, so I don't think there would ever be a problem.

I bet that "coach pumpkin" was a sight to behold. We cut flowers into one last year that just looked awesome! Lots of fun!

Enjoy your fall days! What novel are you writing?

Love n hugs,
Becky