Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wading through the murky waters of seeking an Agent



I never knew it could be so hard to actually get a book published!!


The other day, I finally broke down and went to the bookstore and bought three books that were recommended to me:  "Writer's and Illustrator's Guide to Children's Book Publishers and Agents" by Ellen R. Shapiro and "How to Write a Children's Book and Get It Published" by Barbara Seuling and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Children's Books".  (I should qualify there!) I have my work cut out for me! 

I think I am going to set the actual writing aside for a bit now and just try to get through most of these books.  I've completed two of the "Petie" books now; one is on the website and has actually sold 4 or 5 copies so far!  I'm excited about that!  The other one is in the finishing stages and about to be uploaded, but I'm trying to decide if I want to do that or wait until I find an Agent first.  Then I have a third book that I wrote many years ago and my Mother helped collaborate on the art work; that one has to be typed into the software and uploaded also.  Until then though, I need to get through these books I've purchased, make submissions of query letters to Agents and see what happens.  Making all of the submissions and keeping track of them is the hard part!  Writing is the fun part!

The exciting news for this week though is that I should have my first hard-back book in my hands by this Friday! I'll be so excited to actually hold something I've written, in book form, in my hands!  We're supposed to be leaving for Mississippi on Friday so I'm hoping that the Fed Ex guy comes early before we have to leave so I can take it with me!

We're going to have a busy month the rest of this month now. Next weekend is our own conference that we administer and then the end of the month we'll be traveling to Illinois to see my Mom. She is going to be 80 years old on September 28th!  I'll say more about that later.  When we return from Illinois, we are taking a break and going to Florida for a few days to just relax.  THAT I'm really looking forward to as it will give me some time to just READ and get through these books I've purchased.

More on this adventure later!  I hope all of you have a wonderful week and weekend!
(The picture of the sunflower at the top of this post was taken by my Sister Dawn! 
It's growing in her back yard and is twice as tall as she is!!)

No comments: